November 26, 2012

The "I Only Got Five" White Quail Chili


It happens. The first hunt of the season can be rough, even if you have spent some time shouldering your gun during the off-season. Nerves can get the best of you. The birds never fly the way you expect them to. And it’s easy to psyche yourself out and forget that it’s not all about pulling the trigger. Those are my excuses anyway; I blanked eight times on opening day of Duck season.



So I could sympathize with my long time hunters, Chip and Chet Oehme, after we finished our first trip out at Wintergreen.

“Well Pop, at least we have enough to make a sandwich.”

And unlike me, at least they didn’t go home empty handed.

 

Here is an easy way to make a little go a long way…and a creative way to use game.






5 Quail Breasts
1 can of Great Northern Beans (un-drained)
1 can of Cannellini Beans (un-drained)
Optional: 1 can of Black Beans (drained/washed)
1 packet of McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning
2 cups game stock or water
Sour Cream
Cilantro
Avocados/ Guacamole

Serves 4


Grill or Roast Quail Breasts just to the point where you can pick the meat of the bones. Finish them off in a medium to large sauce pot with a little oil and packet of seasoning (cumin, cayenne, paprika, garlic, salt/ pepper, oregano).

Cook until each piece of Quail meat is coated with seasoning. Use water or better yet, game stock to sort of deglaze all that goodness stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Note: I save/freeze all my carcasses from ducks, quail, pheasant, etc. to make stock, as well as keeping my trash can from smelling for a week.

Add Beans, reduce heat and bring to a slow boil. (15- 20min)
Place in bowls and top with cilantro, sour cream, cheese, avocados or guacamole

 

No comments:

Post a Comment