December 25, 2011

The Start of Something New

As a kid, dressed in oversized hand-me-downs from my brother and a blaze orange vest that hung down to my knees, I spent one of my first quail hunts walking the fields of Wintergreen during the Christmas season. So when I met Dr. Carroll Overton of Raleigh and his 12 year old son, John at Wintergreen Christmas Eve morning, I was glad to see a father and son taking their first steps in following a family tradition of hunting during the holidays.

Both new to the sport of wing shooting, I was just as impressed with the shots they didn’t take as the ones they did. Gun safety is always a top priority in the field, and to see a young hunter demonstrate restraint during the excitement of one of his first hunts speaks volumes. A successful hunt isn’t measured by the number of bagged birds, but by the shared experiences that are imprinted on our memory.  It was a pleasure hunting with the both of you and can't wait to see you guys again.  Merry Christmas!

Father and Son walking in on a point
















John's First Prize in the Field.  A Great Left to Right shot!




















A Dog's Eye View


No comments:

Post a Comment